Friday, August 27, 2010

Roses and Thorns in the UK


Roses:

1. You are allowed to bring your dog to pubs in the UK. Now that is civilized. Then again, with my dog and a beer, I don't know that I'd ever leave the pub.
2. Public transportation is majorly subsidized--trains are relatively cheap, fast, and even a little swank.
3. National Health (alright, we're getting there in the US).
4. It costs you to drive in the center city of London (got close to this in NYC--should try again).
5. Excellent Shakespeare any night you want it.
6. Babysitters are respected professionals--with serious training and credentials.
7. Tipping doesn't break the bank--about 10% here.
8. Afternoon Tea
9. Being within 3 hours of Paris
10. Old, gorgeous churches

Thorns:

1. Roundabouts--really? Bane of my UK existence.
2. Left-hand side driving--really really? I feared for my life in the passenger's seat (and PK is an excellent driver).
3. Queuing as a sport and/or art. Just say no. How many times did we face a long line only to discover another entrance with no line at all?
4. Roads--lord have mercy. But I guess this explains the emphasis on trains.


No comments:

Post a Comment